President: John Pye
Telephone: 0432 867 387
Secretary: Peter Barham
Telephone: 5358 2534
Treasurer: Veronica Monaghan
Telephone: 5358 2535
Stawell Urban Landcare Group is comprised of people from the township who are dedicated to the beautification, enhancement and promotion of the unique natural environment around Stawell. Stawell Urban Landcare gives likeminded town residents an opportunity to become involved and do something valuable for future generations. Members are knowledgeable and passionate about what they do and have contributed to a diverse range of projects.
Past and ongoing projects include:
- ‘The Very Pleasant Creek Walk’, from Federation Park to Stawell Racecourse, which changed a weed infested area to a walking track complete with bridges, seating and signage highlighting local flora and fauna
- ‘Moonlight Sands’ has been transformed to a park with revegetation, a walking track, seating and signage denoting historical information
- ‘Nesting Boxes’ were installed in the Box/Ironbark forests at Deep Lead to create habitat for threatened and endangered species and will be continually monitored
- ‘Big Hill Blitz’ which is a long term project to control weed infestations on Big Hill
- ‘Ironbarks Walks’ are held annually to educate local primary school children and raise awareness of the local forests
- ‘Open Kitchen Garden Day’ is another annual event organised to inspire locals to create food producing home gardens and involves a range of workshops and productive gardens on display
- ‘Clean Up Australia Day’ and ‘Adopt A Roadside’ are supported by SULC hosting sites with volunteers cleaning up litter
The Stawell Urban Landcare Group meets monthly and has regular working bees and is very welcoming to new members. If you would like to find out more information please feel free to contact the group.